Thursday, April 8, 2010

Dry Economizing...

I abhore my dryer.  That isn't to say that I don't use it, but I do so very rarely, even in the middle of winter.  Of course, this is economical for a myriad of reasons, all of which we've seen before...

Less wear on your clothing.  All of that lint had to come from somewhere.

Less dryer sheets used.  Although, I cut mine into quarters and they work just fine.

And the big one...Electricity saved. 

I've seen various figures that tell one how to calculate savings by not running the dryer.  Honestly, I don't really care how much I save.  Not running the dryer also ties in nicely with my tendencies to be environmentally friendly.  Furthermore, if in the winter I hang the clothes on the rod on the second floor, or on a drying rack, it acts as a natural humidifier as they dry.

No, it's not pretty.  It works for me...and maybe eventually we'll replace the dryer or the broken heating element that no longer turns off the dryer...but since we don't use it often, I just set a timer when I do use the dryer.  This also means I run it less often than if I depended on the dryer to turn itself off.

Of course, I also use the clothesline outside when the weather is nice, like today.  We also travel with a drying rack if we are going to be away for more than a week.  (Most of my family members are used to my idiosyncrasies by now...or hang their clothes also.)

Now if I could only figure out to where the matches of two dozen socks disappeared...

No comments:

Post a Comment